Prof. Adele Green
Professor Adèle Green, AC MBBS (HONS1) MSC PHD FAFPHM, is a Senior Scientist and Head of the Cancer and Population Studies Group at the QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute.
As an Epidemiologist her aim is to improve understanding of the causes and pathways to development of various cancers in order to better control and prevent them.
She has been at the frontline of melanoma research for 20 years, long enough to see students she has inspired and mentored join the campaign against the disease which is diagnosed in 9,000 Australians every year. She has also been extensively involved in research on other cancers including gynaecological cancers.
In 2004, Professor Green received a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) for “Service to medical research and to public health” and in 2013 was “Queensland Australian of the Year” and winner of the “100 Women of Influence” Award.
She has published over 400 papers, reviews and book chapters and serves or has served on many national health and research committees including:
- NHMRC Australian Longitudinal Study of Women’s Health, Scientific Advisory Committee, 1999-2005
- Chair, NHMRC Health Advisory Committee, 2000-2005
- Chair, NH&MRC Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Testing Expert Advisory Group, 2012-2013
- Member, International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection, 2008-ongoing
- Member, Australian Paediatric Cancer Registry Advisory Committee, 2008-ongoing
- Member, Specialist Medical Review Council of the Australian Government, 2011-2013
- Member, Advisory Committee, Collaborative Group on Epidemiological Studies of Ovarian Cancer, Oxford, 2004-ongoing
- Member, European Consortium on Epidemiology of Human Papillomavirus Infection and Ultraviolet Radiation In Relation To Skin Cancer 2004-ongoing