Prof. Anna deFazio
Professor Anna deFazio, BSC (HONS I) PHD, was appointed the Sydney West Chair in Translational Cancer Research, University of Sydney, in 2013.
She has directed the Gynaecological Oncology Research Program at Westmead since 1995 and is on the Executive of the Sydney-West Translational Cancer Research Centre.
She completed her undergraduate degree (BSc Hons) at the University of New South Wales, her PhD at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of Sydney, and post-doctoral research at the Garvan Institute in Sydney.
The research focus of her lab is on individualisation of treatment through an understanding of genetic and genomic determinants of treatment response, and on understanding the early events that lead to ovarian cancer. She has over 190 peer-reviewed publications, including 107 collaborative group papers.
Professor deFazio’s service on boards and committees also includes;
- National Health & Medical Research Council Academy 2011-13
- Cancer Council NSW Research Committee, 2011-present
- Kathleen Cuningham Consortium for Research into Familial Breast Cancer (kConFab) Executive Committee 2012-present
- Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Management Committee, 2000-present
- Australasian Biospecimen Network: Oncology Management Committee, 2004-present
- ICON7 (Trial of Bevacizumab in Ovarian Cancer) Trial Management Group Translational Research Sub-group. 2007-present
- Gynaecological Oncology Biobank at Westmead, Management Committee, 2008-present